Intel has introduced new mobile and desktop CPUs. The lineup now has processors for all PCs from ultrabooks to work stations.
The new Skylake architecture is made on Intel’s 14nm process and with it, the chips are more power-efficient. The lineup starts from the low-power Y-series. They are for ultrabooks, have two cores and support hyper threading. The Y-series has m3, m5, m7 and Pentium processors with 3.5 to 7 watt TDP.
U-lineup is for laptops and it has i3, i5, i7 and Pentium CPUs with TDP of 7.5 to 28 watts. All U-processors have two cores and support hyper threading. H-series is for more powerful laptops with i3 models having two cores and hyper threading, i5 CPUs are quad core without hyper threading and i7 processors have four cores and hyper threading. H-series also has quad core hyper threading Xeon processors for work station laptops.
Intel also updated their desktop Skylake lineup. With the unlocked i7-6700K and i5-6600K there’s now a wide variety of locked CPUs with a letter T at the end. Hyper threading is available on i3 and i7 CPUs. Core i5 and i7 processors have four cores and i3 and Pentium have two cores.
Source: Intel News Fact Sheet – PDF
Asus has revealed probably the world’s first water-cooled laptop. The ROG GX700 has an external radiator module and packs some hugely powerful hardware.
Asus has introduced a water-cooled laptop or portable computer. The GX700 has a 17″ 4K display, Intel Core i7-6820HK and an NVidia GeForce GTX 990M. The specifications are revealed by Hexus that has been able to use the computer at IFA 2015.
The GTX 990M is still unreleased GPU but the Windows 10 graphics card info page shows that the GX700 has 2048 CUDA cores instead of 1536 of the most powerful mobile NVidia GPU, the GTX 980M has.
The impressive specs don’t stop there. The CPU is very powerful overclockable 45 watt Skylake i7-6820HK and with the water-cooling it can reach 3.6GHz turbo speeds. The GX700 also packs 64GB of RAM and a pixel packed 17″ 4K display.
The water cooling needs an external radiator module to work but the laptop can be used without it with lower clock speeds. The module has quick adapters to connect the laptop to water cooling. Not much is official because the Asus press release just confirms Skylake CPU, GeForce GPU and the water cooling.
Sources: Asus, Hexus
We just told about Norton and Windows 10 compatibility issues. Now Norton has released a Repair Tool for it. Here’s how to use it.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open task manager and click ‘More Details’ if needed.
- From the ‘File’ menu, click ‘New Task’, type ‘msconfig’ and press Enter.
- In the Boot tab, select ‘Safe boot’ and ‘Networking’ under that. Press ‘OK’ and when asked, click ‘restart’.
- When in the desktop, download the fix tool. Open the folder you saved it, usually ‘Downloads’, right click it and ‘Run as administrator’.
- The tool rapidly runs in the background.
- Press Windows+R and type ‘msconfig’.
- In the Boot tab, uncheck ‘Safe boot’ and press ‘OK’ and when asked, click ‘restart’.
- Run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.
- You should be good to go, if not, check our original guide.
Update: Norton has released a repair tool. Here’s how to use it.
Norton looks to be causing screen flickering with Windows 10. Many users around the internet have reported flashing or flickering screen after upgrading to Windows 10.
We have the solution for this problem. Norton 360 and Internet Security seems to have some compatibility issues with Windows 10 so all that is needed is uninstalling Norton software for now, until it’s fixed.
- Open task manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Press ‘More Details’ if needed.
- Open Services tab.
- Right click any of the services and click ‘Open Services’.
- In the services, double click ‘Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support’ and select ‘Disabled’ Startup Type. Do the same for the ‘Windows Error Report Service’.
- Uninstall Norton and all the other Symantec applications.
- Reboot your system.
- Run Norton Removal Tool.
- Reboot your system.
- Do the steps 1 to 4 but this time select Startup Type of ‘Manual’.
- Reboot your system.
- Open Windows Defender, Microsoft’s own free security software and turn it on. You are good to go.
If you want to reinstall your paid Norton software, we suggest you wait for a couple of months to be sure Norton is updated to be compatible with Windows 10.
If you have Norton and you haven’t yet upgraded to Windows 10, we suggest you uninstall Norton and run the Norton Removal Tool before upgrading. Windows Defender is perfectly capable to keep your computer secure.
Intel has introduced a Thunderbolt 3 hub at IDF 2015. Thunderbolt 3 is Intel’s own connector that can achieve quadruple bandwidth compared to UBS Type-C.
The Thunderbolt hub can beef up laptop graphics, charge the laptop, drive two 4k displays and act as a USB hub at the same time over one single Thunderbolt 3 cable. The hub has three USB 2.0, one Type-C, two HDMI and two DisplayPort connectors and it can power all those at the same time except the additional displays are limited to two 4k displays.
At the demo hub there’s just an AMD R9 M385 but it’ll most likely be capable to handle full desktop GPUs. The possibilities this could bring to gamers are great. The same very portable laptop used in work or school would be able to run the greatest PC games.
The Intel’s solution will not be available for consumers but other manufacturers can build their own Thunderbolt hubs. MSI has build something like this previously with their GS30 but it needed a full PCIe connector to work which made it a little clumsy.